It was in 1957 when the English engineer, B. 'Freddie' Francis, decided to include an electric motor in Scalex cars, which were clockwork cars made of tin that the British firm Minimodels Ltd had been manufacturing since 1952.
It was the real start of what we today know as the SLOT SYSTEM
In 1962, arrived in Spain under the aegis of EXIN. It was introduced at the Barcelona trade fair in June 1962.
Thanks to the quality of the reproductions, the care in the details, the innovations in design and their technical features, the Spanish models began to gain ground on the British-made models.
In 1970, the difficult financial situation experienced by the British firm Lines Bros Ltd made it possible for EXIN to purchase the rights to the brand and the patents for Spain, Mexico and Andorra.
In the 1970s and 1980s, the brand kept on growing in the market and evolving technologically, until it became a benchmark in the slot car world.
In 1990, the SCX brand was created for exports to other countries.
Unfortunately, and as a result of the crisis at that time, the increasing costs which affected other lines of the company forced it to close at the beginning of 1993.
Luckily for all SCX fans, in March 1993 the American multinational TYCO ensured the continuity of the brand by acquiring the rights to manufacture and distribute SCX for international markets.
This is the period in which the company moved its factory to China.In 1997, TYCO was taken over by Mattel, the US multinational, and one year later SCX passed to Tecnitoys.
With Tecnitoys, the excitement came back at SCX. In 1998, the brand was successfully re-launched. New sales and marketing policies were put in place (including updating the logo and all the packaging). A strong emphasis was placed on R&D, which achieved significant improvements in quality and gave rise to the presentation of important technological innovations (including wireless cars, fibre optics, guideways with suspension and electronic accessories). The result was an up-to-date, technologically advanced product.
In 2003, the SCX Digital System came out, which offered the possibility of changing lane at will and allowed up to six cars per track.
As of 2013, Fábrica de Juguetes holds the worldwide exclusive rights to manufacture and distribute the brand SCX. It is also committed to positioning a good quality product in the market, with the idea of progressively introducing to the brand the most cutting-edge technology so as to continue to lead in all categories of slot cars.
The first commercial slot cars were manufactured by Lionel in the US in 1912, although the patent for a slot car is dated March 1936. However, until the end of the 1950s, almost all toy vehicles were guided using high rails.
In 1955, very shortly after the first Scalex cars came out, the first club was set up using an electrified rail circuit.
In this type of circuit, the cars were placed on top of the rail by means of a groove or dual axle and the car used the current by means of a copper cable which ran along the side. The biggest problem was that the cars moved around freely and the user had no control over the vehicle. In addition, the cars braked systematically when the back wheels crashed against the centre rail.
Despite this, the system became very popular and clubs opened up all over Britain.
Based on this idea, after a lot of testing, at the 1957 Harrogate Fair a new track system was presented which today we know as slot car racing.
Cars no longer ran on a rail above the surface of the track but instead featured a small piece which fitted into a slot on the track.
This change saw an explosion in the manufacture of plastic cars. The new models, much lighter, represented a technological breakthrough in the sector and set us on the path we are on now.